Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Tribute to Teachers

       
In conjunction with World’s Teachers’ Day 2010, I'm dedicating this post to one of the under-appreciated professions of our time, teaching. I look up to teachers. Most teachers are role models to their students. That, on its own, is a big enough responsibility. Teachers play a very important part in education, thus they're found accountable to not only the students but also the students’ parents, the teaching profession, their employer, their colleagues, the community and the society. The expectation of a teacher is, not only to give proper education, but also to represent the profession and their employer. Just with any profession, a scandal will shake the credibility of the individual, the profession and the educational institution. 

How's the teaching profession holding such high importance to the society? Teachers mould the society; no teachers mean no doctors, engineers, or other professions. Yet, when the Australian government introduced the “super teacher” scheme, there were many negative responses. My view on the “super teacher” scheme is divided; I agree and disagree to a certain extent. I agree with the performance pay idea, and that good and hardworking teachers in public schools should be awarded; their workload should be justified with a higher salary packaging. However, I disagree that it is offered to only “super teachers”. Wouldn’t that cause conflicts between teachers in public schools? In my opinion, performance pay scheme should be offered to all good teachers, as an incentive for their dedication. In saying that, I also believe that measures should be put in place to ensure that this scheme can't be taken advantage by cases that are not genuine.

Most people reckon that teachers' wage (read: under-paid) is justified by their workload because all they do is talk to a classroom of children and mark papers. ??. Would anyone say that about a medical practitioner who sits on his ass (excuse my language) the whole day and write scripts? I very doubt so. With outcomes based education, teachers are expected to take on alot of work- identifying each of the student’s unique learning styles and planning a learning experience for each of the eight learning areas, while ensuring quality and effective learning.
      
I'd like to think that teaching is for me, but as we've seen above, there's more to teaching than just imparting my learning on someone. Teaching is a commitment to educate. Sure, I do have some of the personality traits to become a teacher, but is being a good communicator, passionate, tolerant and caring, sufficient in becoming a good educator?
       
For now, I'm happy to be on the other end of education; the receiving end. I'll leave the educating to the experts.

6 comments:

  1. Dont mean to disrespect any teachers out there, but when I was in school my teachers did shit. They walked into class, taught and walked out when the bell rang. They didnt care abt us nor our future. I have not respected the profession ever since. Hope you're not in uni to become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know if u were that kind of student who was always asking the teacher....Im a teacher, AND iM REALLY PROUD OF MY CAREER....and I would say that u will always find good teachers and bad teachers, the same as other careers...the thing is that if u want to be a teacher...u should be conscious of all the disadvantages...because u dont only work at school, you never stop working...and in a certain way your family feels a little alone.... so if society do not care about us...dont worry because we are already caring or taking care of this society...

      Delete
  2. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with your teachers. As I've mentioned above, teaching is a commitment to educate and truthfully not just anyone can educate. Therefore, I will not make any excuses for those teachers. What I would like everyone to think about is the education curricular that allows those teachers to do what they did. Some time ago, most countries have either methods based or contents based curricular. Now, majority have implemented outcomes based education system. Wonder what that means? I will reflect on this topic in my next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and no I'm not studying to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Silver pen your sincerity is so refreshing. I teach in the university and guide student dissertations too. This time an effervescent girl had one research question - why don't young students and those in 11th and 12th grade ever wish to b teachers? they have choices from arts, commerce, science and vocational streams and they want to be officers, doctors, engineers etc. Parents too invest in children 's education as per the pay packet they are likely to get...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. A refreshing point of view on what has become a common misconception: teachers demand too much (and by that I mean money) for doing too little. I am a teacher of English as a foreign language in Romania and it sends a shiver down my spine to see that ordinary people all over the world share a prejudiced point of view.
    Education and teaching are undeappreciated despite being the most important pillar of society. Education is the staring point for every and any subsequent job that exists out there. If people think that teachers are no longer needed in modern society, then by all means there is something wrong. Abolish education and see what happens in 20 years time.
    A committed teacher, whose work is underpaid and underappreciated, but whose students made something of their lives. I guess school had nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete